Re: newby trying to go debian

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 03:00:59PM -0600, Colin Baker wrote:
> In between these is etch/testing.  I used to run sid/unstable on my
> desktop PCs, but I've recently switched to testing, since it is a nice
> compromise.  I get fairly recent software, but without all of the broken
> package issues seen in sid.  I believe etch is frozen now (this means
> that no new packages are being added, just like stable), and will become
> the new "stable" soon.  At that point, Sarge (current stable) will
> become "old stable".

As I understand it, "testing" is the testing ground for the next stable
release, Etch, which is nearly ready so at this point in time testing is
good to start with but ...

... once Etch is the new stable, "testing" will be codenamed 'Lenny' and
will be the testing ground for the next stable release. As a consequence
"testing" will start receiving packages, and the associated bugs, from
unstable. If a bug is fixed it will take approximately 10 days for the
fix to reach testing.

Because of this I recommend to either run Etch or sid because Lenny will
probably be horribly broken. This was evident immediately after the
release of Sarge when users had testing in their 'sources.lst' -- check
the archives of the debian-user mailing list.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

--
Chris.
======