Re: [SPAM] Re: XFS, EXT3 or some other?

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:58:47AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Of course it is quite likely reiserfs has gotten more stable in the
> couple of years since I stopped using it.

According to what I read here and there. reiserfs3 stabilized after Hans
Reiser had abandoned it and Chris Mason from SuSE took over
maintainership. AFAIR it was Chris Mason who implemented ordered mode
for reiser3, and it was Hans Reiser who opposed Chris' work saying it
would keep people using reiser3 instead of testing/developing reiser4
(AFAIK at that time reiser4 was not even near being usable).

So right now reiser3 should be stable and is backed by a big distro
(SuSE), while reiser4 is still far from being integrated into the
vanilla kernel and thus should be treated with some care. On the other
hand reiser4 has some really new concepts so if someone likes to
experiment, reiser4 is a good opportunity.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences