Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:46:12AM -0400, David Wood wrote:
Something else ugly... Just curious, why would this break:

mkdir /usr
mkdir /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib/i386-linux

It's "recursive," but it appears functional...

Yes but now all the i386 files are also in /usr/lib which would work for
compatibility, but then you can't be amd64 compatible (although some
would say /lib64 is the way to be amd64 compatible).

Yes. This is exactly what I mean.

I do not expect to be compatible with both until the work is finished... Only to allow packages to migrate on their own time while still in use.

If we could ignore rpath problems, then moving everything to an arch dir
under each lib dir would take care of the libs since the ld loader can
handle the new locations.  Building software may or may not work since

With links in place, ld would not even need to be changed except "at the end" or in prerelease multiarch systems (although, maybe, why wait?); the idea is that nothing would, in fact, need to change, until you are ready, while you can simultaneously prepare your packages for the new standard.