Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> If we could ignore rpath problems, then moving everything to an arch dir
> under each lib dir would take care of the libs since the ld loader can
> handle the new locations.  Building software may or may not work since
> configure scripts might get confused, but then again they often do.
>
> Len Sorensen

We can and will ignore rpath problems. We are already doing so.

3rd party software is nearly completly 32bit and our 32bit libs are
already in the wrong place for rpath then. We can move
/emul/ia32-libs/lib/* to /lib/i486-linux/ (same for usr/lib in all
cases) without changing anything.

We can also move /lib/* to /lib/x86_64-linux/* and adjust the /lib64
compatibility link without changing anything. That even works for
rpath.

We can even link /lib/i486-linux -> ., placing the 32bit libs in /lib
to preserve rpath for both 32bit and 64bit.

So, as amd64 owner, we are very lucky here.

What I'm concerned about is source compatibility. Configure scripts
will need to adjust to the new locations as well as gcc and binutils.

MfG
        Goswin