Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:46:12AM -0400, David Wood wrote:
> Something else ugly... Just curious, why would this break:
>
> mkdir /usr
> mkdir /usr/lib
> ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib/i386-linux
>
> It's "recursive," but it appears functional...

Yes but now all the i386 files are also in /usr/lib which would work for
compatibility, but then you can't be amd64 compatible (although some
would say /lib64 is the way to be amd64 compatible).

If we could ignore rpath problems, then moving everything to an arch dir
under each lib dir would take care of the libs since the ld loader can
handle the new locations.  Building software may or may not work since
configure scripts might get confused, but then again they often do.