Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Hugo Mills wrote:

  The whole set of problems with the package management.

I don't understand. As far as I could see the problem you raised was what a (finished) multiarch solves.

  As I think I said in my mail, I don't know enough about the
library-building side of it to comment. I do recall that glibc6 and (I
think) libvorbis were worked on by a couple of people -- one as an
essential part of infrastructure, and the other as a "porting"
example. I do recall that there were significant problems with both,
but I don't recall what those problems were. It was over a year ago
that this was done.

I keep saying it. There's a symlink. It's backwards-compatible! There is no package building involved to get started!

If I have /usr/lib

and suddenly it becomes a symlink to /usr/lib/i386-linux/

What's the problem? Yes, it will take work to _finish_, but why haven't we even _started_?