Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:46:44PM -0400, David Wood wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Hugo Mills wrote:
>
> >>I guess I can only ask... what... on... earth... was the problem?
> >
> >  See below...
>
> Actually, I don't see where you've said what was objectionable about
> multiarch.

   The whole set of problems with the package management.

> >  Well, let's say you want to install a 32-bit xine. That's written
> >in C, so you have to have a 32-bit glibc. So, you use dpkg to install
> >the 32-bit version of glibc2. But... you can't, because you already
> >*have* a package called glibc2 installed, which is the 64-bit version.
>
> No, you misunderstand. I don't expect that to work. It's obvious that if
> you just made the directory structure switch you still have a long way to
> go before you can install two different glibc packages. I'm just saying,
> why not make the directory structure switch and then _start_ doing the
> work of adding support to the package system/packages. Then, as I said:
>
> "At some point the infrastructure work is done and a big enough subset of
> packages are ready, and you can switch. But in the meantime, why not
> start? At least make a decision, move the directories..."

   As I think I said in my mail, I don't know enough about the
library-building side of it to comment. I do recall that glibc6 and (I
think) libvorbis were worked on by a couple of people -- one as an
essential part of infrastructure, and the other as a "porting"
example. I do recall that there were significant problems with both,
but I don't recall what those problems were. It was over a year ago
that this was done.

   I'm not deliberately trying to avoid your questions, but I probably
am only answering the bits I can answer. :)

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- "It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take ---
              hold" - Hunter S Tolkien,  "Fear and Loathing
                              in Barad D�