Re: PATA System Slowdown

John Baab wrote:
> optimusprime:/home/john# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

Yeah, that's the message I was thinking of.

>>2. If trying to re-enable DMA with hdparm spits out an error (I don't
>>remember the wording) then probably you don't have support for your IDE
>>chipset compiled into the kernel. Once you do that, DMA will be enabled
>>automatically on boot.
>

> Here is the output of my lsmod and modprobe -l, to me everything seems in place.
> optimusprime:/home/john# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
---
> via82cxxx              13680  0 [permanent]

Hmm. You said earlier that you have an Asus K8V Deluxe SE. You are using
the onboard IDE, right? The driver above should do it, but it's possible
that since you have a very recent board the driver doesn't yet support
your IDE chipset. Unless I'm on the wrong track; I haven't had a VIA
motherboard in a long time.

Please send the output of:
$ lspci

and also:
$ lspci -n

and also the section of /var/log/messages from when you last booted.

-Corey