Re: Floppies for amd64 ?

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:21:12PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:17:19PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > The Switch make only GBit not 10/100
>
> Hmm, OK, I thought they all did 10/100/1000.

 me too.  Managed switches can have their port speed locked at Gb full
duplex, though.

> > I have installed lilo_22.5.9-3.0.0.1.amd64_and64.deb
>
> Well no idea about lilo.

 Yeah, I think a lot of people use GRUB.  except for the big-RAM problem,
(which is fixed now), grub has no trouble booting 64bit kernels.

> > I have tried it with one memory Module (2 GByte) and it does not work.
> > The Kernel does not find the second CPU
>
> I think the athlon 64 needs ram connected to every cpu.

 No.

> It would
> certainly work best that way.

 Yes.  The bandwidth over the HT link is high enough, but you lose Opteron's
latency advantage.  Ram on the other CPU has similar latency to an Athlon
going through a chipset. :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)