Re: Floppies for amd64 ?

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 12:08:19PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2004-09-07 11:45:13, schrieb Andreas Kn?pfer:
> > my guess is that floppies are to cumbersome at all
> > so, i cannot answer youor why question.
> >
> > in case you're looking for a solution i suggest booting from an usb device
> > with one of the install images available.
>
> I have tried the USB-Image allready...
> It does not boot...
>
> If I put an ext2 onto it, I can boot from the USB-Stick (IBM 256 MB)

The daily builds of the debian-installer (which does sarge and sid
installs) has hdmedia install option, which I suspect might be an option
for a usb key.  It also has a netboot image, which I tend to find useful
for booting machines without messing with CD/floppy stuff.  That is if
you were trying to install amd64 support.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status/

> May be I create a small WOODY install on the USB-Stick and debootstrap
> amd64 onto the new System...

Why would you install woody on it at all?  The hardware is much too new
to be even close to well supported by woody's 2.4.18 kernel, and sarge
is looking very close to ready for release, and of course woody doesn't
have amd64 support, while sarge might soon have it (depending on a few
things happening it seems) and sid should have full support soon if it
doesn't already.

I would grab the floppies for i386 sarge and install that, then
debootstrap amd64, or get the netinstall or hdmedia install for amd64
fro the ports-status page and install that.  netbooting is generally not
that hard to get working.