Re: X11 server on alpha -- update

On 27/10/2009, at 5:09 AM, Bob Tracy wrote:

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:18:05AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:05:10PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
Bob Tracy wrote:
Long story short: 1.7.0.902 fixed the problems with modules not loading because of undefined symbols, but the end result is no better than what I reported for the earlier 1.7.0 version. The mouse cursor is normal
brightness, but the display is otherwise extremely dim:

Maybe remove as much as possible from your xorg.conf?  Xserver 1.7
should start with a very minimal xorg.conf. I am not quite sure why you
need the NoInt10 and DefaultConnectorTable options.

The reason for "NoInt10" escapes me at the moment...

I actually commented the change in my xorg.conf file :-). If "NoInt10"
isn't "true", there's a probe for the video BIOS which fails on the
Alpha (or at least, that *used* to be the case).  Since I can't access
the video BIOS, I have to use the default connector table too. Are you claiming that the current X server on Alpha can now do something useful
with a x86 video BIOS?  If that's true, I *am* impressed.

Yes, I am. There is an x86 emulator in the Xserver and it can read and use the video BIOS. On my Radeon 9200 the int10 code loads fine and I get the message:

(II) RADEON(0): Legacy BIOS detected

The Xserver can now POST video cards that the SRM fails to POST, and with the most recent kernels with KMS I presume even the kernel can POST Radeon cards that the SRM fails to POST (though I haven't tested that yet).

Cheers
Michael.