Re: X11 server on alpha -- update

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:38:33PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Unfortunately Alpha disappears from Debian testing just before we get
> a working Xserver...

That has been the most frustrating aspect of this whole journey.
Xserver has been broken in "testing" for over a month and a half.

I assure you, it's not my love of following rabbits down holes that's
motivating me to (a) figure out how Debian package names map to upstream
source tarball names; (b) unravel conflicting binary package contents;
(c) resolve build dependencies by building *those* packages from source;
etc., etc., ad nauseum.  I don't dare build and install any of the Xorg
code outside of the Debian framework: too many components end up in
unexpected places because a simple "--prefix=/usr" ought to be sufficient
but isn't.  I'm *reasonably* certain the light at the end of the tunnel
isn't an oncoming train :-/.

The above rant is my curious way of acknowledging the hard work Debian
developers do to make things "just work."  I'm *extremely* grateful that
I don't normally have to deal with the minutiae that are part and parcel
of their lives as developers.  How they maintain their sanity is beyond
me.

--Bob