Re: OT, Re: Which softwares to install ?

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 2:29 PM Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Correct, but probably it depends on the greeter in use.
> > > For the GTK greeter it's F4
> > > I just uploaded an ISO with it, for who has some time to kill:
> > > [2]https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-15.0/iso/
> >
> > In other words, Didier has put in a new accessible GTK greeter in the beta
> > version of slint, unreleased as of now and first announced on this list! and he
> > invited anyone to try the F4 GTK greeter.
>
> D.J.J. Ring, Jr., le lun. 18 juil. 2022 14:19:11 -0400, a ecrit:
>
> Yes, but to do so, you have to install slint.
>
> His message also tended to imply that Debian didn't include the gtk
> greeter while slint does. He didn't say it didn't, but FUD techniques
> are enough to mislead users.
>
> > My gosh, if I mentioned Vinux in a post, would I get the same verbal upbraiding
> > and battering?  It's totally ungenerous and not deserved.
>
> If you were doing it repeatedly over the past decade for random reasons,
> I may bring the same comment, yes.
>
> There are very good reasons to recommend people to try slint, Vinux,
> etc. but not random reasons.
>
> That being said, again: I have clearly overreacted here, since Didier
> hasn't been doing so very often lately, I'm sorry for that. Can we
> please avoid a drama?
>
> Samuel

But Didier isn't doing this 'very often lately'.

Here's a search for "slint" on this email list. https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=slint&DEFAULTOP=and&B=Gdebian-accessibility&SORT=0&HITSPERPAGE=100&xP=slint&xFILTERS=Gdebian-accessibility%7E.%7E%7E0

Debian List Search: slint & didier https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=slint+didier&DEFAULTOP=and&B=Gdebian-accessibility&SORT=0&HITSPERPAGE=100&xP=slint&xFILTERS=Gdebian-accessibility%7E.%7E%7E0

Here's one where Didier mentions Slint, but it's not the subject, none of them are.

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:59:51 +0200
Hello Roberto

Le 29/06/2022 à 15:27, Roberto Burceni a écrit :
> Thank you for your response. Which distribution are you using for xlqt?

Slint, but running the pre-version 15.0 not yet released (I am its maintainer).

Cheers,
Didier

Go through the search, what you are saying just isn't true. None of it is true, none of it.

Didier also made this post on 30 December 2021 https://lists.debian.org/debian-accessibility/2021/12/msg00085.html and it should be a point impressed in light of what happened today upon the Admins of this list:

The Slint installer borrows at least one feature from the Debian installer: the
way sound cards are probed just after booting, to find a working one (thanks
Samuel).

More generally, sharing ideas and features between distribution benefit users of
all of them. Trying to find which one is the best is pointless as it depends on
the users' needs and use cases, in other words their requirements.

Cheers,
Didier

If you want to end cooperation between distributions, so be it, you're behaving in exactly the way you should to drive all the list members elsewhere.  If they choose to, they can see that the archives don't support your accusations and your stinging public rebuke of Didier.

The problem remains - there is no unified place to discuss Accessibility, but until your post this day, we - happy people we all are - thought it was through the generosity of Debian, that we had THIS place to share and discuss accessibility without being publicly shamed.

I'd like it to remain this list, we have other developers who submit to this list, Didier should never be scolded for incidentally mentioning his work on Slint.  I've not seen you publicly rebuke Gilles Casse for his work on Voxin or for mentioning it, which he does occasionally and it's always in relation to an ongoing discussion and on topic that is currently discussed, exactly as Didier did today and has been doing all along.

One other generous soul, is developing a free ISO to give to students in Africa, that was posted on this list, I myself posted in answer to that, and I'll admit, I mentioned Slint because slint is problem free and excellently configured.  Slint just works.  If a user wants emacspeak, it's already configured, if the user wants a particular greeter, there is a script to change greeters, if the user wants LXDE, there is a script to change from MATE to LXDE, if the user wants to log in in text mode, which I and many users want, there's a script to do that, if the user wants a particular console screen reader, Slint has a script to do that.

Maybe it's time for the Debian Accessibility providers to take a good look at that iso Didier mentioned and maybe borrow some of the open source work that Didier has done, he has made a multi-lingual distribution that is highly accessible, with multiple console screen readers, that has emacspeak configured automatically including a sub script asking if the user wants voxin voices (thank you Gilles!).

Cooperation is what it's supposed to be about, not false accusations and public rebukes.  You did it in public, not apologize completely for your false and misleading statements and maybe change your stance to be "'Welcoming".

You should make Didier's comments in his post of 30 December 2021 and make it the Motto of this list.  Everyone will benefit if you do.

Regards,

David