Re: X Accessibility

"Veli-Pekka Tatila" <vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:

> Mario Lang wrote:
>> GTK1 is not accessible, but GTK2 adds
>> accessibility to most of the default widgets,
> I see. How detailed info can you get,

The AT-SPI interface is quite detailed, IMO.  OTOH, I haven't programmed
for any other Accessibility API yet, so my opinion might be worthless.

> are you able to tell font styles, sizes and names as well not to
> mention colors in RGB or some verbal format?

This question is probably better asked on the gnome-accessibility-devel
list, people there will know, I don't, offhand.

>> in the long run, its probably much better to patch the app
>> in question to use GTK2 instead.
> Very true. How difficult is this to achieve in practise.

That depends on the application.

>> TollTechs responsibility to make Qt accessible from the grounds up,
>> we shouldn't bend tail over head to get accessible
>> Qt apps.
> I can see your point, but from the user's perspective, would be real
> nice to have KDE access some day.

I see it from the other end, it is really nice to have GNOME
accessible today, and if KDE wants to be able to be taken seriously
as a free software desktop, it has to catch up.

>> That should only add to the competition of desktops IMO.
> Why can't they unite and combine both of best Gnome and KDE
> worlds.

That is as if you'd ask GNU Emacs and XEmacs to unite, its just not
likely to happen any time soon.  Those competing systems
might seem very similar at first, but they still have quite a different
idea of how to approach things.  For me, KDE always was the
"shiny blinky something" desktop, and GNOME was the "serious approach".
However, that is my personal impression and totally second hand,
since I never used KDE at all.

> There doesn't seem to be any major differences between the two
> anyway, at least in basic use.

Ask dedicated GNOME/KDE users, I am sure they'd want to differ.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org