Re: Getting 320x200 in X, Installing Gnome with apt-get

Hi Andor and sorry for the delay,
I haven't had time to experiment with Linux too much recently.

probably apt-get install gnome will do the trick.
Umm the funny bit is, it won't. I've tried three different spellings:
gnome, Gnome and GNOME, none of which have worked so far. It just says that this package cannot be found.

However, AFAIK gnome 2.4 is probably only part of either testing
certainly unstable.
Do I have to somehow specify that I want stuff from the testing or unstable branches shown also? Just out of curiosity, how unstable is unstable?

However, you might be interested in xzoom too.
I just installed Xzoom hoping I can use that to explore KDE until I get the lower resolutions to work. OK if i say xzoom in the KDE run box, it launches the app quite happily. however, where's the manual? I don't seem to get much out of the magnifier.

It only follows the mouse if I start dragging from the xzoom window, which makes usage in menus virtually impossible. In addition, the mouse cursor is real small but as far s I can tell, there's no way to resize or move the xzoom window or even get some menu out.

did you restart you X-server after modifying the config?
I did a complete reboot. How do I restart the X server only? Oh yes, and if i kill a process with kill, can I use some nicer way of referencing a running process than some pretty un-mnemonic, 3-digit process identifier?

you could reconfigure X with only the low resolution.
I've tried this too, and even if I have a single res like 320x200 listed, it won't zoom properly. Besides the lowest reso I can choose in the textmode XF86 configf wizard is 640x480. SOmeone hinted in an old newsgroup post that X is also pretty picky about the videocard and settings as far as resolutions go.

Mine is Ati 3D Rage Pro. Which driver should I use: ati, atimisc or r128? I suppose r128 is Rage 128 but it could be N-Vidia Riva, hich I really wouldn't want to select.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: