Re: Getting 320x200 in X, Installing Gnome with apt-get

Kenny Hitt wrote:
Gnome 2.6 is the version in unstable.  I
believe it is also now the version in testing also.
Thanks for the info. I'm curious to know what's new in terms of accessibility in 2.6 in contrast to 2.4. The last time I checked the Gnome home page, it just said that they'll be writing about the improvements in the accessibility side pretty soon. I think I'll install the whole of Gnome like I just installed KDE a while back. I'm now running apt-get dist-upgrade in the background with the distro set to testing and there are quite many KDE packages to be upgraded. Fortunately I've got a VDSL connection and the funet.fi FTP-mirror is real fast, too.

Yet another newbie question (YANR):
OK, I'm under the impression that stable contains the files in the current Debian release, testing is some kind of a middle-ground and unstable contains the latest bits of software being worked upon. Now, when Serge is out does it mean that files in testing will contain newer software that will be part of the next distro after Serge and that stable will be synonymous with Serge files?

Btw, I'm totally blind, so I can't use Mozilla or Evolution.
Umm, can't you use Gnopernicus to read them? I managed to install Gnopernicus in Mandrake and it read most bundled Gnome apps all right. However, none of the Mandrake specific configuration tools were read at all, which finally put me off regarding using X with speech. Also, I like KDE better because of the graphical theme editor and many other things, but no can do. QT won't be accessible any time soon, I suppose.

I think it should work with both. I have a little sight left but am mostly working with speech. And would really need speech in the long run, magnified images are moree like the secondary and complementary output medium to me if speech is primary.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: