Re: Shells, Mplayer and Security (WAS: X Accessibility ...)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
 > Sounds a bit tricky. Isn't sox also some firewall thingy?
not that I know :)

 > Umm speaking of MPlayer, doesn't it also have a GTK1 interface or am I
 > totally mistaken?
 > Also, does this option only affect pitch. In Winamp I've got a true
 > time-stretching plug-in that rather than altering the playback rate,
 > actually lengthens or shortens the sample without touching the pitch at all.
 > The minimum is 50 percent of the original.
dunno, haven't tried that option with sound at all.
It probably has a GTK1 interface but is also complate config from the
commandline.

 > I can believe that. Still, isn't apt-get install a bit illogical, wouldn't
 > apt-get --install (with two dashes before the word install) be more like a
 > conventional long option? Well, it was much worse than this in the DOS days.
no, cause install here is an action not an option or switch

 > Although MS progs used the slash switch convention, some 3rd party apps used
 > a dash in stead.
:)

 > And if he or she stops apt, will all of his other processes still run with
 > normal permissions? Also, if someone is running something as root, does root
 > show up in the user list then?
yes, commands are run like this:
~$ sudo apt-get
thus other commands are not run as root.
with the setuid, you will see root as the runnign user in ps output or in
top.
with sudo that's probably the same, not sure.

 > Are aliases shell specific? I tend to think of the word alias in the Mac
 > sense.
yes, you put them either in the logabl rc-file or in your personal one.

 > How's TCL like? I've been hearing good stuff about zsh so I'll consider that
 > as well.
zsh is particularly nice with tabcomplation, cause you walk through the
options not see them on screen and have to type the next character and tab
again.

 > > perl was created with regexp in mind and a sole
 > > goal.
 > True, still I find the Java regexp implementation a bit clunky. It could be
 > made easier in C plus plus with sensible operator overloads.
IC

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@students.cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/