Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

Mario Lang wrote:
Yes, that is actually expected behaviour.
The installer should detect if your
initial choice was a serial console, and configure the installed system accordingly.
Ah nice, just as it should be.

If you want to use ALSA, you should probably upgrade to kernel 2.6, since
I suppose I'll be doing that at some point. My Gentoo friend has been using 2.6 with very little trouble for quite some time already.

/dev/dsp is the device used for the OSS (legacy) sound support.  ALSA has
different device names.
OH, ok. What would be a good OSS mixer on the command line?

apt-cache search STRING
Works liek a charn, thx.

* Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the "sarge" distribution,
* Run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade".
* Now, install a 2.4 (or probably better a 2.6) kernel:
kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.7 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV.
Ah this is it in a knutshell, thanks for the advice again. I'l liekly try out that pretty soon if it means it will auto-detect the AWE card in the best case. it is nice to know Debian can use packages inter-changeably like this. I seem to remember RedHat had some trouble with it.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: