Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

Mario Lang wrote:
<URL:http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/software.html>

I'll check that out, thanks. I already read your page about Debian accessibility having found it with a bit of Googling a while back.

I'm afraid that there is very little internationalized software
speech support yet.

It's not that serious but I'd like to read some e-mail and books in Finnish in particular. Of cours I can also use a multi-lingual synth in Windows, so no prob there. And I just read the Finnish-speaking, commercial speech synth Mikropuhe has been ported to Linux:

<http://www.mikropuhe.com/mikropuhe.asp?sis=tuotteet&sisb=mplinux>

The page is in Finnish, though.

You might also want to look at the magnification features of Gnopernicus.

I already did, and frankly speaking was disappointed. I thought it would support real full screen magnification which it did not. And the window could not magnify under itself, either. I thought this would be something that had been implemented by now, unless it requires some special screen interceptor driver as in Windows. Also, I found the refresh rate was not even as smooth as in MIcrosoft Magnifier. Still anything is better than that Win 3.1 app called Lens but it was not really intended as a magnifier to be fair and I'm getting off-topic here.

ecasound
for multi-track recording, and SuperCollider for everything else.

Oh, I'll keep these in mind. What do you mean accessible, are these tools text based then? Do they support low-latency ALSA directly?

NetHack is also a classic which tends to be quite playable with braille output.

I'd like to play that by zooming around the map with magnification and letting it read the prompts with speech, that could work. I suppose there are also Z-Machine and Tads emulators out there.

HOWTO on creating a BRLTTY disk which can be used during the floppy install.

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the BRLSTATXh howto and it looks easy enough. There's one thing at the end I don't understand, though. It says the following:

#2. BrlStatX and USB support

Important option available in the Linux 2.4.19 kernel:

Tieman Voyager USB Braille display support (EXPERIMENTAL)

If you are using a Voyager, then you will set this option "on" to be able
to use BrlTty with it.

*** end of quote ***

Umm, which option? I mean, it didn't say it explicitely at all. OK, if I'm reading this correctly I should be using the 2.4 kernel in stead of 2.2 to have proper USB support. But how can I specify this at boot time or is there a different floppy image for the 2.4 kernel I should be using? I'm slightly puzzled.

The boot parameters for serial console do vary from installation
method to installation method.

Oh, I see. Could you please give me a direct link to the Woody boot parameters or info on serial install? I tried Googling for woody boot parameters but didn't come up with anything useful.

About the 40x25 text mode:
unfortunately, I do not really know if you can achieve this easily
during the installation.

Howabout using SVGATextMode, does that let me scroll around if everything doesn't fit on the screen?

You'd still need to complete
the installation up to the point where you have a working
network.

I suppose this would be easier in Gentoo, then. I'm not sure but it uses some kind of a Live CD approach.

I'd recommend you read up on the Installer documentation

Already did that, as well as reading a nice tutorial about it at:

<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016>

Thanks for all of your help so far. It's nice people are making Debian accessible and I find the philosophy more attractive than that of RedHat or Mandrake.

PS:
I'll be posting this same message to you directly and cc-ing to the list, just like you posted directly to me as well. Hope you don't mind

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: