Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

Mario Lang wrote:
you could also use your knowledge of programming languages to improve the overall situation
for yourself.
Yeah, that's true. I need to learn the Linux specific stuff first but I've been thinking of contributing something someday, once I become guru enough, hehe.

impossible to work with for me, since I am on some channels which do
have quite some traffic going on.
I see. Umm howabout using Festival to read IRC messages on the fly, would that be possible? It could be quite nice if it when a new message arrived, stopped reading the console, read the message, paused and backtracked a few words before continuing with the text. This might make things impossible on a busy channel, true, but might also work on slow 1 to 1 conversation in which both parties are doing something else while chatting, too.

about brltty and Gnopernicus co-op:
Yes, it does.  In fact, I wrote this feature in July 2003.
Wow, what else have you written apart from maintaining the accessibility binaries, which is a blessing to me personally, not having to compile from sources at this point.

change and re-evaluate your code at run-time,
Umm maybe I could do the same by saving the file and running some shell scripts that re-compiles and applies the changes. Howabout self-modifying synth code, does that become possible? Just a crazy thought.

In SuperCollider, you can evaluate pieces of code
without having to restart SC.
Wow this sounds very good. Can I play it from a MIDI device? Howabout presets, do I have to specify them numerically as well and can I say preview cutoff changes in real time or is it more like change cutoff, recompile and listen, change again, more listening etc... I imagine that could be painful at worst. Emacs might be the best tool for it after all, does it work nicely with EmacsSpeak?

serial console usually derfaults to 9600 bps IIRC.
Yes, I think so too. That is 9600 bits
9600 / 8 = 1200 bytes
THat's something like half a screenful per second, provided that screen size is 80 * 25 = 2000 characters.

vt100 seems like a save bet.
Auto-detect seemed to work fine. Howabout ANSI?

So you are saying you do not have a true serial port
on the machine you are trying to install?
Nope, the one lacking a true serial port is the newer machine that is emulating the terminal and running my Windows screen reader. On a side note, the serial interface does work it isn't this, it is that I put a small s in ttys0 as I've never had to think of case much in DOS or Windows and because I don't have cap announcement on by default.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: