Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

Mario Lang wrote:
<about Mikropuhe>
BRLTTY apparently has a driver for this synth since version
3.5 or so.

Ah very nice. The lack of an EmacsSpeake server isn't that bad actually.

You should probably summarize your feelings about Gnopernicus
Magnification and send a mail to gnome-accessibility@gnome.org.

I'll consider that option. Many companies are eager to receive feedback and now that we are talking about free software, it might be that someone actually improves the magnification side.

Speaking of other accessible software, I'd like to have an IRC-client that does not require switching to it to be able to read messages. Maybe this is a strange idea but I'd find a deamon style IRc-client nice. That is it would post messages to your console directly, a bit like the new mail note but they'd be channel messages. YOu could also give IRC commands and respond by typing, say: my comment or say: /whois saarni and so on. This way you could IRC while working in the console without much hassle. Umm, There might be some more elegant solutions such as automated foreground task switching when new messages arrive, or simply opening up several consoles. Still, that deamon mode would be, well, at least interesting. I asked my Linux friend about it but he hadn't seen any such client.

first GUI Screen Reader for Linux (if one ignores certain never
really released attempts

Thats a good point you have in there. I bet we'll be seeing quite a bit of development in the future. after all Gnopernicus already communicates with Brltty unless I'm much mistaken. Is the newness of the product the reason why some distroes don't include Gnopernicus even though it's part of Gnome? Namely the free Mandrake 9.2 CDs lack some essential binary RPMs required by Gnopernicus.

SuperCollider is an audio programming environment which
can be used from a pure text based terminal from within Emacs.

Whatabout using it outside Emacs? As a newbie, I'd say I like Pico better initially, hehe. Is SuperCollider a text-based modular software synthesizer a bit like C-Sound for Linux or Reaktor by Native Instruments in the Windows world?

This requirement was removed in BRLTTY 3.5, you no longer need
any special kernel module for the Voyager.

That's good to hear. Now the troble is, are these Brlty Voyager binaries I found new enough? The URL is:

<http://www.brlspeak.net>

It does not tell the version on the site at all, and those packages only contain the raw binaries with no accompanying readme files.

I'll be trying out that serial install method very soon having just burned the first of the Woody CDs. I've already tested that the serial connection does work between the machinse using Hyperterminal. before I go on any further, I'd like to know if I need to alter these Hyperterminal defaults on the Windows side?

The setings are as follows:
bbs (default: 2400),
data bits (default: 8),
parity (default: none, other options: mark and space),
stop bits (default: 1, other options: 1.5 and 2),
flow control (default: hardware, other options: Xon Xoff and none)
emulation (default: auto detect, other options: ANSI, ANSIW, Minitel, TTY, viewdata, VT100, VT100J and VT 52).

I suppose most things are all right. The once that do worry me are bps (which is liekly 9600 by default on Linux), flow control and terminal type. In particular, should the type be VT100 or TTY? After all, Linux terminals are called tty as in ttys0 and brltty so I'm a bit confused again.

like ``ttyS0''.

Ah, this is it. I already checked it's the first com port. IT's funny now that serial ports are considered legacy devices, this laptop came with a special USB-based serial port adapter that appears to work fine. Now, I'd say that's really merging new and old technology.

<about SVGATextMode>
simply changes the text-mode dimensions, it doesn't do any virtualisation.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. If you could virtualize the sscreen somehow, I suppose it would be fairly easy to write a similar program to what the magnifier called Magic was for DOS. It's basically like SVGATextMode with 2x, 4x and 8x magnification and let's you scroll around the screen on a per character basis with shift+arrows as well as by using the mouse.

Besides, SVGATextMode is not included on installation media as
far as I know.

I didn't really expect that, just considered using it as an additional possibility.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: