New Member Intro, Installation Help

Hi,
As this is my first post in here, I thought a little intro would be ok. I'm a 20-year-old, Finnish guy studying information processing science at the university of Oulu. I've been using computers practically half of my life, and know most flavors of DOs (5 and onwards) as well as Windows (95 to XP) very well. I've got very little actual Linux experience, having only briefly tried out RedHat and Mandrake just to discover Gnopernicus won't speak most 3rd party apps and that it's very diffifcult for a Linux newbie to compile something like Screader from sources.

Now, I'm thinking of installing Linux once again. One of my primary goals is being able to set up most access aids as quickly and painlessly as possible in order to be able to really start learning a Linux system myself. Without working access aids, I gotta rely on sighted help, or alternatively use X in 320x200 to read the screen contents magnified. I thought Debian could be nice as most of the access packages such as Festival Lite, F-Lite, Yasr, SVGATextMode and Brltty seem to be available as x86 binaries. FInnish language support would be very useful in a speech synth, too, though I prefer the English locale in most cmputer software.

Another reason is that I want a relatively small Linux installation, because I'll be installing it along side Win9X on an older machine and can only give something like 1.5 GB. I've heard Debian is very customizable which has it's ups and downs in a way.

I'm not sure if I'll be installing x at all. I dreamed about it in the first place but having used Linux a little, it seems like I really need to know the console anyway in troubleshooting situations at least and it seems to give me most of the real power as well, because GUIs are supposed to be easy. If I do decide on installing X, I'd likely want to run GTK and QT applications and have some real minimalist Window manager or whatever that doesn't even support skins but let's me have total control over widget colors as a magnification user. Also some minimalist dual-pane file manager that supports regexp filtering and let's me minimize visual complexity by hiding toolbars and file icons would be great. As far as other software goes, I'm doing music as a hobby so MIDI-sequencers, soft synths, multi-track recorders and other such software interest me. Other things include free and simple Linux games as well as DOS / WIndows, Nintendo and other emulators such as MAME.

I won't be switching to Linux as my primary OS any time soon, though, as GUI access and the range of pro music software for Windows is still so much greater and better overall. NOt to mention, I've gotten so used to MS products over the years. I want to try out Linux because of the power on the command-line, customizability, the huge variety of different kinds of free and useful software out there many of which have not been ported to Windows. I've gotten tired of the huge diskspace and CPU requirements of modern Windows software, automation and legacy things (such as the registry and dll issues) not to mention screen readres that only support IE properly and slow down to a crawl on large Web pages or if I'm copying thousands of files over a network. OK enough Win bashing <smiley>. I just wanted to highlight some of the reasons why I'm interested.

Apart from this info and questions on kind of software I might want to try, I posted to ask about different methods of independent installation regarding Debian. I don't know yet if I'll be installing WOody or the next major release, which is supposed to have friendlier installation. Anyway, step-by-step instructions would be nice as I'm knew to Linux and any analogies to DOs, Windows, C, Java or Perl might help. which of these seven methods I can think of might be the easiest in practise?

method 0: textmode install with speech
This would require recompiling the kernel and using speakup, I suppose. Unfortunately, this is out of the question as I don't have any hardware speech synths to begin with. I've read somewhere that there's a project to make a speakup compliant speech synth that'll run in kernel mode. Does anyone know if there's a usable version out there? Also, I've never compiled a kernel in my life.

method 1: textmode install with braille
I do have a Tieman Voyager braille display and just managed to find a binary version of brltty compiled for my display here:

http://www.brlspeak.net/brlstatx.php

I think I could put it on a floppy and run prior to the installer but how can I run something before the textmode setup kicks in? Also, my display is USB based so I'd likely need USB support at bootup.

method 2: text mode install over a serial line
I do hav a com port on two of my older machines. One choice would be to use my Windows screen reader and Hyperterminal or some other terminal emulator to read the installation prompts. What boot parameter tells Debian to redirect the input and output through the com port and what kind of terminal should be emulated?

On a side note, I managed to succesfully get some output showing on my Windows machine in RedHat but the arrow keyes didn't change the selected menu item at all.

method 3: install with magnification
I'm not sure if this applies to Debian but on distroes that have an X based installation, it let's you specify the resolution. If I could set it up to use 320x240 it would be large enough for me to read the texts with magnification. I attempted this method in RedHat or Mandrake, I don't remember which, but it would not track the mouse and scroll at all, like it usually does in X.

Alternatively, if it's possible to force the install in 40x25 text mode, I might be able to read the texts without magnification. I can use DOS that way on a 17 inch monitor provided that I know in some detail what I should be looking at. Reading longer texts using that method is very slow and painful to say the least.

Method 4: scripted installation
I suppose it would be possible to totally script and automate a Linux installation but I'd really have to know what I'm doing. I did something like this in Win98 but there was a nice, GUI based editor for the script. I do know C, Java and some Perl so some programming language like representation goes but it would probably be easier to mod a sample installation script. Where should I start and what does it do in case of an error?

method 5: assisted installation over SSH
Yet another choice would be to grant my Linux friend root access and let him control the machine over SSH. I could talk with him using Skype on the other machine during the installation, and he might be able to help set up all of these access aids that are practically required for any independent Linux adventures, too. He's using Gentoo but I guess Debian is not that different. To be able to do something like this, I'd need step-by-step instructions on how to start an SSH server and change my root password and so on. This is because I cannot read ordinary 80x25 console text and am new to Linux.

Hey, it doesn't necessarily have to be my Linux friend helping with this. If some of you here on the list have Skype and are willing to help, I'd appreciate it a lot. Time difference might be an issue, though, Finland is GMT plus two.

method 6: installation with sighted help
This is a valid option, too, as I live home and both of my parents know DOS and Windows well incidentally. I know neither is really interested in Linux, however. And another weakness is that it might be hard to recover from installation errors or problems. It takes quite a bit of time to figure out what's going on and what to do about it if you are new to Linux.

I think that was about all I had to say at this time. Thanks for your help in advance.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: