Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

"Veli-Pekka Tatila" <vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:

> Mario Lang wrote:
>> You should probably summarize your feelings about Gnopernicus
>> Magnification and send a mail to gnome-accessibility@gnome.org.
>
> I'll consider that option. Many companies are eager to receive
> feedback and now that we are talking about free software, it might be
> that someone actually improves the magnification side.

Actually, now that it is Free Software, you're not only limited
to providing feedback to the programmers, you could also use your knowledge
of programming languages to improve the overall situation for yourself.
This is a unique situation in the accessibility area, and is why I am so
excited about Free Software and Accessibility in general.

> Speaking of other accessible software, I'd like to have an IRC-client
> that does not require switching to it to be able to read
> messages. Maybe this is a strange idea but I'd find a deamon style
> IRc-client nice. That is it would post messages to your console
> directly, a bit like the new mail note but they'd be channel
> messages. YOu could also give IRC commands and respond by typing, say:
> my comment or say: /whois saarni and so on. This way you could IRC
> while working in the console without much hassle.

Hmm, I think I basically understand what you are describing.  You are looking
for a IRC client which behaves like the "write" and "wall" UNIX commands.
I wish you luck, I personally am sure that such a thing would be impossible
to work with for me, since I am on some channels which do have
quite some traffic going on.  Having all those minor notes from IRC
interfer with my command-line interaction would be a save bet for
making me crazy.

>> first GUI Screen Reader for Linux (if one ignores certain never
>> really released attempts
>
> Thats a good point you have in there. I bet we'll be seeing quite a
> bit of development in the future. after all Gnopernicus already
> communicates with Brltty unless I'm much mistaken.

Yes, it does.  In fact, I wrote this feature in July 2003.

> Is the newness of the product the reason why some distroes don't
> include Gnopernicus even though it's part of Gnome? Namely the free
> Mandrake 9.2 CDs lack some essential binary RPMs required by
> Gnopernicus.

That is quire likely.

>> SuperCollider is an audio programming environment which
>> can be used from a pure text based terminal from within Emacs.
>
> Whatabout using it outside Emacs? As a newbie, I'd say I like Pico
> better initially, hehe.

Well, you can try to use it outside of Emacs, it is not going
to be that confortable though I guess.  If you use Emacs to interact with
sclang (the language interpreter part of SuperCollider) you can change and
re-evaluate your code at run-time, doing a kind of real-time programming.
If you just supply source code files to sclang to execute (and edit them
with say, pico, in advance), you can still work with SuperCollider, however,
you'll loose some of the real-time programming aspects of it.

> Is SuperCollider a text-based modular software synthesizer a bit
> like C-Sound for Linux or Reaktor by Native Instruments in the
> Windows world?

SuperCOllider is perhaps comparable to Csound, but with real-time aspects.
In Csound, you define a score and instrument definition file, and run
them.  In SuperCollider, you can evaluate pieces of code
without having to restart SC.  So you can for instance define
a Synth and play it with some lines of code.  If you now want
to change some parameter of the Synth, you can do this programmatically
in real-time, without having to stop your instrument, or you can even
program code which lets you control the parameters of your
Synthesizer definition via MIDI or some other input.

> before I go on any further, I'd like to know if I need to alter these
> Hyperterminal defaults on the Windows side?
>
> The setings are as follows:
> bbs (default: 2400),
serial console usually derfaults to 9600 bps IIRC.
> data bits (default: 8),
> parity (default: none, other options: mark and space),
> stop bits (default: 1, other options: 1.5 and 2),
> flow control (default: hardware, other options: Xon Xoff and none)
> emulation (default: auto detect, other options: ANSI, ANSIW, Minitel,
> TTY, viewdata, VT100, VT100J and VT 52).
vt100 seems like a save bet.

>> like ``ttyS0''.
>
> Ah, this is it. I already checked it's the first com port. IT's funny
> now that serial ports are  considered legacy devices, this laptop came
> with a special USB-based serial port adapter that appears to work
> fine. Now, I'd say that's really merging new and old technology.

So you are saying you do not have a true serial port
on the machine you are trying to install?
That might be a problem.

> <about SVGATextMode>
>> simply changes the text-mode dimensions, it doesn't do any virtualisation.
>
> Ah, thanks for the explanation. If you could virtualize the sscreen
> somehow, I suppose it would be fairly easy to write a similar program
> to what the magnifier called Magic was for DOS. It's basically like
> SVGATextMode with 2x, 4x and 8x magnification and let's you scroll
> around the screen on a per character basis with shift+arrows as well
> as by using the mouse.

I wonder if something like this can be done on top of the
Framebuffer console.  Anyone?

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org