Re: W00t, It Speaks, One Final Question (was: Serial Install ...)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I'm replying to my own message actually. This is just a quick note to let
 > you know that after having substituted the small s with a capital one in
 > console=ttyS0, serial output now works as expected. This is highly cool, I
 > can see it slowly drawing the ASCII graphics on the virtual terminal screen.
 > My screen reader, that is Supernova, even follows the Debian menu selection
 > in the installer automatically with speech, and no arrow key problems
 > either. Regarding Hyperterminal, I left bps to 9600 and got the best results
 > by leaving the terminal type to auto.
okay, bit I'd advice you to try 38400 as well cause it's way faster then
the 9600 and would make it easier to work.

 > It seems I'll soon be able to install Debian on my own and can keep the
 > installation guide as well as a nice tutorial at hand. One final question,
 > though, how can I force Debian to continue using the serial port even after
 > installation? I'd need to be able to do that till I get brltty running or
 > something.
well I suspect that the kernel you are using has serial-consoel enabeld.
However, you may need to modify your /etc/inittab file after installation
is complate to support a serial terminal.

Another way out would be to also finish 2nd stage installation before
rebooting.
This means you will set a root-password and do package-selection before
rebooting (which normally is done after rebooting).
If you do so, you can install the ssh-deamon and thus have ssh-login
support after reboot.

WARNING: don't forget to create a normal-user account as well.
It highly depends on if you install stable/testing/unstable if your
ssh-version (use openssh) allowed root-logins.
This si for security-reasons.

 > Gotta get some sleep as it's about 1 at the morning here.
 > Yet again thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread. You saved my
 > day.
Glad to be of help.

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@cs.uu.nl