Re: Serial Install Help and IRC Daemon Idea (WAS: New Member INtro ...)

Andor Demarteau wrote:
<daemon-like IRC>
It's hard enough to follow busy irc-hcannels let alone working in
between the lines.
That's a valid point. I don't usually go to busy channels, though, this would be one-on-one talk with a friend. Also, the client could only show new messages on enter presses like the new mail command. And you could request unread messages that have not been shown yet or last n messages to refresh your memory.

I know C but don't know anything Linux-specific. I wonder if it would be easy to modify an existing IRC client a bit to get this kind of daemon behavior out? Of course I'd need to be familiar with Linux and have access aids working but maybe some day in the not so near future.

<Gnopernicus>
Haven't got time enough to get it working yet under debian.
I tried once under the Gentoo-distro which failed.
Dunno about anything else but I got it working under Mandrake 9.2 with the help of that Linux friend, though it took quite long. I was kinda disappointed and the system kept crashing a lot.

better compile one yourself I think.
Well, I'd need a Linux box, wouldn't I? I'm only running WIndows on all three machines currently. One is dedicated to music and audio, another for games, mail, programming and school and the third and oldest machine should become an accessible Debian box at some point.

speed is 38400 defualt mostly.
Oh, thanks for pointing this out. I didn't seem to get any serial output on the emulated terminal so far, not sure what's wrong. It works between two Hyper Terminals but doesn't if I try to get serial input from Debian. I typed: linux console=ttys0 at "Boot: " provided that I got the US equals sign right using the Finnish keyboard layout.

Umm, if I managed to get the output through a serial port, should the display on the booting machine be blank then? Although I don't have enough sight to really read it, I can see some text scrolling after the boot prompt and then it switches colors completely. I'm suspecting this is the graphical installer as I'm able to switch to a console with alt+f2.

PS: I hope subject refinements like this are OK.
PPS: Please don't CC me any more as I'm reading this list and all of my regular mail on the same machine.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: