Re: Release Party Time ;-)

I think it would be easier to use a Debian installer CD. The installer
will setup networking for you. If you have a SCSI CD-ROM, you could boot
the Mac directly from Laurent's ISO.

I think that xz is not available on the installer disks, but a statically
linked one could be built and then fetched along with Thorsten's
cowbuilder tar. (Or just ask Thorsten nicely to distribute a tgz version).

Alternatively, instead of converting the txz to tgz, convert it to a small
extfs image, then partition and block-copy under MacOS, then boot into it
with "init=/bin/sh" (no ramdisk required if you use the right kernel*)
then online-resize the root filesystem to fill the partition, then follow
your steps to convert the cowbuilder chroot into a bootable system.

When I installed from Thorsten's debian-ports achive, I debootstrapped a
buildd target (rather than a cowbuilder), which is another workable
approach although neither cowbuilder nor buildd is an ideal target for end
users.

Finn

* I will build one and upload it somewhere.