Re: mac installation

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> well i should say that last night i went back to 2.2 to see if i had the
> same perl errors and then i had to load another keymap. there were a
> couple in the mac subdirectory. one that work i could not say if it
> works also with other kernels. the man page (dated) claims the built-in
> key map may not always be good either...

There is a kernel config option for generating ADB keycodes if you want to
use old maps with the latest kernels, and you are willing to build your
own kernel. I believe its use is deprecated (same for powermac ADB, IIRC).

> well anybody could read the man pages and try these out, but for
> installation and testing it would be nice to have it straight... (the
> "us" keymap actually is in i386 category. so maybe it is not really
> correct but just happens to work)

No, I think it really is correct.

[snip]
> well i don't see one, but there are some 128mB simms that work in
> quadra605 (or maybe performa 475 which i have) - but those need cpu
> replaces and only have scsi drive and a slower controller at that.  but
> is supposed to be a question of will the memory controller adress the
> memory, so if you put a bigger one in will it see the RAM or not.

Yes. I can't say I've put it to the test myself.

> > > ps FYI the "current" version of perl is actually getting on close to
> > > 2 years old. there are about 12MB of modules update, even with the
> > > upstream fresh build or etch (i know i have been building and
> > > consistentizing it on all my machines the last few month, BTW it
> > > builds fine with gcc295/linux2.4 or macos10.2/gcc3.3, but - ) which
> > > takes almost as long to build install as the whole source. is
> > > anything to be done about that ??
> > >
> > > anyway i downloaded the 12mB ok the ethernet did not crash (mine 68k
> > > is ASANTE/LCIII/Nubus, not Sonic - slow but stabler maybe ??). but
> > > when i was trying to run the updates when i got it stucking. maybe i
> > > have to split it up or/and do some partly by hand. or i could try
> > > the old kernel and see if that hangs too...
>
> i tried both these ideas and it still thrashes although not as badly, i
> was able to kill and shutdown. i am pretty sure though this job should
> not need the 70MB RAM is asking for (or at least not as far as it got)
> so either i am doing something wrong setting up my local mirror or perl
> has a problem.

No idea what the memory requirement is there. Should be much the same
across architectures, unless there is a problem with the m68k port (?)

-f