Re: mac installation

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> thanks for the link to the kernel deb !
>
> my quadra 630 finally works now at the console.
>
> but i had to reload/reinstall the keyboard maps:
>
> "loadkeys us" to test/reload and "install keymap"
> to install it. this because all the keys were wrong
> i could not even log in.

Yep, I had the same problem on a woody installation, I fixed it by
disabling the loadkeys init script.

> but logging in via ethernet then i did the above and got console to
> work, with the new kernel deb.
>
> it is still i think pretty buggy though appears to be more stable than
> before, last kernel i tried 2 months ago, this time i was up for about 4
> hours before it got to thrashing too badly. i was unable with a great
> patience to shut it down. seems to be some memory issues, swapping
> itself or the program i was running that wanted the swapping i am not
> sure, but it wasn't swapping so heavily that it should be thrashing to a
> standstill. (i put in the shutdown command and it tried but hung with
> drive errors, although rebooting appears no problem, only with running
> this perl script in 2.6.18 that uses 50mB of memory)
>
> i would say more detail but it would probably confuse you without a
> clear simple example. anyway i still am not sure my disk drive is
> perfectly fine, am planning replacement. (there are some errors from the
> drive at startup, although i don't get them with kernel 2.2, who knows
> ??)

Would be nice to see the error messages... Particularly if they happen on
the replacement drive too.

> since there are still some 300 odd kernel bugs (down from 700 a few
> months ago) in all debian, i don't expect too much yet.
>
> I am still running a mixed install of sarge and etch, only parts of etch
> i need. mostly this because i want to be able to run 2.2 kernel as
> fallback. actually am using the 68k very little (for fear the disk is
> about to fail). also need more memory and not sure i want to spend $ or
> if it would really help (have 36mB now and the machine maxes out at 68,

I read somewhere that some of those motherboards have two SIMM slots and
will accept 64 + 16 (plus 4 on board I guess). YMMV.

-f