Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

V Pá, 30. 07. 2004 v 15:41, Stephen R Marenka píše:
> > P.S. I hope Stephen now takes my sarge installation bug report more
> > seriously when he sees my machine actually can run linux :-)
>
> I totally take you seriously. I'm just not clear what to do about it
> yet.

I got the connectors for null modem cable ready so simply wait till I
solder it and send another bug report. I hope the kernel will write some
of the ABCD chars to serial port...

> > P.P.S. it would be good if some of this hardly earned experience got
> > into the Sarge installation manual to save other some trouble,
> > hopefully..
>
> I'll try to figure out how to do that.

There is a catch in the Geert's trick with root=/dev/hdaX I forgot to
report. As soon as the ramdisk is copied to the same disk drive you want
to install Sarge on, the atari-fdisk fails with a message "this drive is
in use" or something like that. Normal (i386) fdisk allows you to open
and edit mounted disk drive but atari-fdisk will not. Not sure why it's
so picky, perhaps for user safety..

So you need either to have the harddrive pre-partitioned and then skip
the "partition your harddrive" step (this is from woody, let's see how
sarge copes with it) or the ramdisk-to-harddrive must be stored on a
different disk drive.

> P.S. I'm looking forward to seeing ARAnyM running linux.

me too!

Petr