Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

> Partition check:
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device 03:05
> Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs
>
> Not sure if this due to the minix instead of ext2fs or if the ramdisk
> simply must be in /dev/ram since the stock kernel has no useful drivers
> compiled in.

I am still here. Using some pretty scary magic (including booting kernel
2.0.33 that had minixfs compiled in :) I managed to 'dd' the Woody
root.bin to the /dev/hda5. Soon after that I even booted Woody linux.bin
and guess what - Geert was right - it was able to mount the initial
ramdisk from the /dev/hda5 and start the busybox.

Unfortunately in 5 seconds there started to scroll an error message
saying "bogl: don't know screen type 2"..

So the good news is that even on 4 MB of ST-RAM it is possible to boot
Debian when you manage to store the root.bin on a spare partition first.

The bad news is that bogl (what's that?) don't know the screen type and
so no installation is possible. It's unclear whether this is a
limitation of the ramdisk-on-a-disk approach or if it's a standard woody
crash on AB40 like machines.

Let me remind you that Sarge linux.bin still doesn't even try to boot.
I'll need to obtain a null-modem cable to debug this.

Petr