Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

V Čt, 29. 07. 2004 v 20:36, Stephen R Marenka píše:
> > Any chance the 781842 is in fact a gzipped size? So that the unpacked
> > kernel (that will be stored in RAM) is say 1.5 MB large?
>
> duh! 1656864.

Well. On machines where ramdisk cannot be loaded to FastRAM the 2 MB of
ST-RAM is clearly not enough. And since the kernel + initrd is no less
than 6 MB it's safe to say that even 4 MB of ST-RAM is not enough (again
on machines where FastRAM is disabled by the bootstrap, such as mine). I
suppose the ramdisk is loaded by the bootstrap here. If it was loaded by
the kernel directly then there would be a small chance it could load it
to FastRAM but if it's loaded by the bootstrap there is simply no
chance. In other words, this makes it impossible for me to ever install
it.

> > I, for example, have just 4 MB of ST-RAM (with no possibility to expand)
> > so I could try the Sarge installation (last time I looked there were no
> > boot disks, though).
>
> m68k daily builds are at
> <http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/images-m68k/daily/>.
>
> All testing and comments appreciated.

First, the bootstra.prg needs to have the Load-to-TTRAM and
Allocate-from-TTRAM bits cleared on some machines. The bootstrap will
tell the user that it cannot run from FastRAM but doesn't advise to use
an utility for clearing the bits in the bootstra.prg header. Best would
probably be to provide two bootstraps where the second would have the
bits cleared so users could use that without fiddling with the utility.

Second, the kernel simply does not boot. It doesn't do anything. Not
even switch the graphics mode. It just loads and sits there. I
deactivated the ramdisk loading to make sure it's not low memory
problem. I believe the kernel should try to boot. But there is no sign
it did.

> Please fill out an installation
> report, <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template>,
> if you would.