Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:09:27AM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> > Partition check:
> > request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> > VFS: Cannot open root device 03:05
> > Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs
> >
> > Not sure if this due to the minix instead of ext2fs or if the ramdisk
> > simply must be in /dev/ram since the stock kernel has no useful drivers
> > compiled in.
>
> I am still here. Using some pretty scary magic (including booting kernel
> 2.0.33 that had minixfs compiled in :) I managed to 'dd' the Woody
> root.bin to the /dev/hda5. Soon after that I even booted Woody linux.bin
> and guess what - Geert was right - it was able to mount the initial
> ramdisk from the /dev/hda5 and start the busybox.
>
> Unfortunately in 5 seconds there started to scroll an error message
> saying "bogl: don't know screen type 2"..

Could you try booting with "nolangchooser"? That should disable bogl,
and make installation possible, albeit without the language chooser...

> So the good news is that even on 4 MB of ST-RAM it is possible to boot
> Debian when you manage to store the root.bin on a spare partition first.
>
> The bad news is that bogl (what's that?)

An application that uses the frame buffer to set up unicode. Required
for CJK, but not really for English.

s/not really/really not/ , actually, but whatever.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks