Re: New to m68k: installation questions!

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 07:45:36PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> > > 1) installing it on a dd'ed image of the hard disk on my pc and then
> > > re-dd it to the mac

> > You can't. Unless your PC runs on an m68k processor, but I doubt that
> > ;-)

> (well, since there are cross-compilers i hoped there was a way to do a
> "cross-installation... :)

Sure -- untar base2_2.tgz onto your hard drive; then go through and
manually configure everything.[1] ;)

> and using the dd'ed image of somebody else hd? maybe somebody should not
> work, but maybe it can be fixed...

If you have the same size drive, this will work.  If you have a drive
that's a different size, I think it /should/ work -- but I also thought
I should be able to repartition my HD under Linux, reload all of the
MacOS files back onto the (now smaller) HFS partition, drop it back into
the Mac and boot; and that didn't work, so it's safe to say that I don't
know what I'm talking about.

dd'ing, or tarring, should work without problems for the Linux partition
(especially since the boot loader sits on the HFS partition).  It's the
MacOS side that's been the problem in my experience. ;)

> how could i plug the cdrom into the mac? it have only one scsi bus slot
> on the motherboard, so i should buy a scsi bus that have two
> "connectors"? (one for the hd and one for the cd?) And what about the
> power? i should buy something like an "Y" cable to power the cd-rom too?

I have a narrow SCSI cable w/ connectors for about 5 devices that came
with the SCSI card for my PC.  If all you need is a SCSI cable, you
should be able to find them relatively cheaply..

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] Only half-joking, here.  I'm having trouble getting the installer's
ramdisk working on one of the m68k macs right now, so I'm going to give
this a try... :)