Re: New to m68k: installation questions!

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:53:57PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:

> 2) use a cd-rom drive to do the installations (i've got a scsi cdrom,
> but i don't know scsi very well, so i don't know how to use it on the
> mac)

If it's an internal CD, you *may* be able to open up the case, replace
the LCIII SCSI cable with a longer one with 3 connectors, do the
install, and replace the old cable as you close the case
afterwards. Your LCIII just doesn't have any room to permanently mount
an internal CD.

The easiest thing is to find a CD in an external SCSI case, then get
an external SCSI cable to go between the Mac and the case (and a
terminator for the other SCSI port on the case).

> And there are also other problem that can arise: in that mac i have an
> additional video card, much better than the integrated one, could this
> cause any problem?

You have an additional video card in an LCIII? I suppose it's
possible, but I'd far prefer an ethernet card in that slot. Odds are,
the worst that would happen is that the replacement video card won't
be seen at all, the best that would happen is that your card will be
treated like the onboard video. But since it's all framebuffer-based,
don't go expecting to play tuxracer or anything.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu