Re: New to m68k: installation questions!

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> I've got a similar problem:
> I'd like to install both System7.5 and Linux on a MacIIci ( 8MB ram,
> 80MB hd).
>
> I thought i could make two partitions, one for macos and the other for
> linux, and hope everything will fit in.
>
> But installing macos from diskettes should be a pain, and also i don't
> know how to install the 20+MB potato base... so i was wondering if i
> could either
>
> 1) installing it on a dd'ed image of the hard disk on my pc and then
> re-dd it to the mac

You can't. Unless your PC runs on an m68k processor, but I doubt that ;-)

> 2) use a cd-rom drive to do the installations (i've got a scsi cdrom,
> but i don't know scsi very well, so i don't know how to use it on the
> mac)

Should work.

Of course, there's also

3) download only the root-image and the linux kernel binary, and do a
network-installation.

> And there are also other problem that can arise: in that mac i have an
> additional video card, much better than the integrated one, could this
> cause any problem?

That should not cause any problem, but one never knows...

> > [1] E.g., although I know System 7.5.3 is a free download, I haven't
> > looked if it's legal to redistribute.
>
> if it's a free download, it surely can be redistributed without
> modifications (AFAIK). to know if it allows modifications, u have to see
> the license.

I wouldn't be too sure about that one.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be