Re: New to m68k: installation questions!

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> > > 2) use a cd-rom drive to do the installations (i've got a scsi
> > > cdrom, but i don't know scsi very well, so i don't know how to use
> > > it on the mac)
> >
> > Should work.
> well.
> how could i plug the cdrom into the mac? it have only one scsi bus slot
> on the motherboard, so i should buy a scsi bus that have two
> "connectors"? (one for the hd and one for the cd?) And what about the
> power? i should buy something like an "Y" cable to power the cd-rom too?

There are narrow SCSI connector cables with three connections (one for the
motherboard, one for the hd and one for the CD-ROM). Those "Y" cables
exist, too.

> and this cd installation maybe can be done easily for linux, but for
> system7? it is in diskettes, how can do it from cd?

There are setupdisks available by FTP from apple's website...

> > 3) download only the root-image and the linux kernel binary, and do a
> > network-installation.
> is it what i did? i downloaded the 20MB potato base system.
> but i have a sloooooow connection, so i'd like some of my friends
> download iso for me and they give me the cd.
> anyway the mac have an ethernet card, if i buy an ethernet card for my
> pc, could it connect to internet through my pc connection?

Yes. You've got loads of options: install a proxy, use iptables or
ipchains and set up NAT, put the CD in your pc's CDROM player and install
over NFS, ...

wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"