Re: install prob: "unable to open initial console" on A4000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 02:10:42AM +0100, Dr.O.Muth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following problem installing Debian 2.2 r0 m68k (potato) on my
> Amiga 4000D (system config at the end):
> After launching amiboot (by clicking on the icon on the  CD-ROM) the kernel
> gets loaded, it probes for the devices etc. and finally stops with a blue
> screen and a blinking yellow cursor in the upper left corner.
> Alt-F2 leads me to the second console with the prompt: "press enter to
> activate..."
> but nothing happens.
> The last lines of the boot messages shown by Alt-F4 or caught after reboot
> by dmesg read like this:
>
> *****cut**************
> Partition check:
>  sda: RDSK sda1 sda2
>  sdb: RDSK sdb1
>  hda: RDSK hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Hmm, I remember seeing that with an other a4k, but we got it going on that
machine. Are you still in the initial install or are you trying to reboot
after the base has been unpacked? I _think_ (>3 months ago...) the initial
console persisted, it was not fatal, the real problem was that the root
partition was too small. How large are your partitions? Give root at least
100MB, no matter what is written in one of the many docs.

Christian
--
http://www.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato