Re: DC18 Budget Approval Request

Hi,

I will make another estimation based on 320 attendees tomorrow.

Replying your messages in-line:

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 01:25:25PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Dear Yao,
>
> > > I would like to see the explicit calculations and assumptions
> > > the went into this figure, including estimates of any error bars.
> > > This would lead to upper and lower bounds for the total budget.
> [..]
> >  294 people completed registration
> >  221 requested accommodation
> >  50 people paid by themselves
>
> Thanks, so these are objective, known numbers...
>
> > Since our registration ison your reasoning for  still open, we can estimate 350-400
> > people where 75% of people (262-300) requested accommodation.
>
> .. but it is still unclear on your reasoning for your 350-400
> estimation. Is it based on something like registration "timelines"
> seen at previous DebConfs, or...?

The estimation of 400 was agreed in the IRC during discussion when we
were discussing the numbers from the registration system.

We can further crank down the estimation down to 320.

> Obviously we don't know the number and nobody is going to hold you
> to it (!) but given that it meaningfully affects the entire budget,
> we surely just can't just be guessing at it or at least we should be
> explicit that we are doing that.
>
> We certainly should not be adding any component of wishful
> thinking — simply adding people to this number won't make
> people magically turn up.
>
> (Again the idea is to identify any potential risks in advance so
> that we can plan for them, rather than any comment on your
> advertising or organisational skills!)

Though, we still hope to gather more local free software enthusiasts
and contributors here.

> > However this list of budget overestimated the attendees paid by
> > themselves (45% of attendees were used in estimation).
>
> (I don't follow this, sorry)

The income from the attendees paying themselves was overestimated.

> > T-shirts are estimated in 500 normal + 100 for orga + 100 for video
> > team.  The overestimation of 100 t-shirts comes from the fact that some
> > people wants to change the shirt size on site.  Also, t-shirts can be
> > sold in other Debian events as souvenir as well.
>
> I've spoken to a number of people who have held t-shirts and other
> related merchandise for Debian in the past (and have since
> stopped). They would warn you that are overestimating or
> trivialising the burdens of managing and storing such an inventory.
>
> This will be compounded here by the t-shirts being event/date/year
> specific and, given you concede they will be rejected sizes, you
> will likely have an unrepresentative distribution of "sized" stock
> too thus making it harder to shift later.

Given that we are lowering the estimation, I think we can adjust the
number of shirts we are having, with a lower overestimation.  (+50
maybe?)

> [..]
> > The government agencies like NCHC and III cannot "sponsor" or "fund" us,
> > but they can "reimburse" our expenses under certain categories.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand the arrangement. Using informal
> language here, we can spend money on DC18 and ask them for it? (What
> are the limits?)

We can only request the government agencies (NCTU/MEET TAIWAN, NCHC,
III) to reimburse certain payments.  For example the allowance from MEET
TAIWAN can only be used for invited speakers' travel and accommodation,
and part of the food.

We have to decide which organization we have to spend money from for
every receipt, since all the receipts must have their buyer name or VAT
ID on it.

Yao Wei