Re: DC18 Budget Approval Request

Hi Yao,

Firstly, thank you for sending this over; really appreciate the
clarity.

Secondly, apologies in advance for any possibly-newbie or dumb
DC18-related questions. Unfortunately, I've not been in a position
to follow the day-to-day updates and thus there are some big gaps
in my knowledge regarding the organisation of this event. :)

Lastly, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the
creation of the budget so far...

> This estimation is for 400 people.

So, naturally this is most important figure or "knob" that affects
the entire budget.

I think I would like to see explicitcalculations and assumptions
that went into this figure, including estimates of any error bars.

This would lead to to upper and lower bounds for the total budget.

(Please be as honest and realistic as possible; the idea is to
identify potential risks in advance so that we might plan for them
just in case, rather than any comment on the perceived popularity of
the event.)

> 600 badges
> 700 shirts
> 400 bags

I was curious about the number disparity here. If are estimating X
attendees, why are these numbers not all the same? (modulo some
additional orga/video t-shirts, naturally)

>           USD 5000.0      Invited Speakers

We have paid speakers, or is this their expenses under a different
header?

>            USD 500.0    Insurance:Insurance

>From my UK/EU persepective, this seems incredibly low.

>           USD 1500.0      [Video] Equipment Shipping

From?

> Also, NCHC (National Center of High-performance Computing) and III
> (Institute for Information Industry) funds are not yet included. NCHC
> promised us that they can reimburse expenses

Can you clarify "reimburse" here — is this a sponsorship
arrangement or part of the government funding that you outline in
the ledger ("Income:Fundraising:Governmental Funds").

>   * Budget:Swags:Bags

(Not at all necessary, but I'd love to see a mockup of these...!)

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb