Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 - Sprints during DebCamp (and DebConf)

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> writes:

> Fine then.
>
> Can we have a word from bursaries team on this?
>
> Thanks,

The bursaries team has not yet been formally constituted, so can't
really make policy pronouncements.

A group of us are in the process of putting together some general rules
for how decisions are made [0,1]. We haven't discussed DebCamp
specifically yet, but since our goal is to have a consistent set of
rules from year to year (and hence need some generality), it seems
unlikely that we would mention sprints specifically. So a good work
plan, is a good work plan, regardless of the structure it is contained
in.

On the other hand, I think it is reasonable to discuss whether
collaboration is a necessary part of a debcamp plan. My reading of
Marga's mail is that she feels it is.  I certainly see the point that
people don't _need_ to be at debcamp to work on a project alone. On the
other hand, extapolating from my own experience, I'm sure there is
plenty of individual work on Debian that happens because people are at
debcamp, that would not otherwise happen.

As far as people's concerns about people not making productive use of
their time at debcamp or debconf, I think one point that we did have
strong concensus on is that we want "what did you accomplish at previous
debcamp / debconf" to play an important role in the evaluation process
[2]

--

[0]: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Teams/Assistance/Meetings/Bursaries

[1]: These rules will obviously have to be ratified by the larger team,
but it would obviously be better for people to participate in the
discussion before that stage.

[2]: Obviously with adjustment for first timers.