Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance & 'Debian Deutschland' name and TO status

Hello Martin,

On 28.04.2014 14:05, martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2014-04-28 13:36 +0200]:
I think one thing that has helped me in the past is to keep in mind
that when I work on something in a DebConf subteam, that we are
working on a proposal for presentation to the larger team, and need to
understand that the proposal may not reflect the final decision.

This is precisely what DC15 have been doing.

But it seems that you are doing the same thing like we did wrongly for DC13.

You focus too much on quick decisions, but then you will find your team alone when approaching DC15. In DC13 when we needed a lot of global support, for DebConf generic stuffs we found very few member wanting to help us. Venue decision is mostly local stuff, but most of the organization is/should be global, like sponsors, registrations, talks, bursaries, video, press, etc.

[if we change rules every year, we will confuse your attendees and sponsors, but they should be our priority]

An ideal orga team needs to have many people: local people, but also "past and future local-team" member. I think nobody is a professional in organizing conferences, so it is really learning-by-doing, which means that we need to discuss and learn from the past.

Also for tax exception, do you really think you are the first and only team with such problems? Germany could have different laws, but not so much different than in the other European countries, so asking for opinion, you can have some feedback on problems you are not yet realizing.

[if you make a global plan, you will see that speed of decision is not a big issue, but manpower is more important. Just try hard not to have to decide again on past issues, as it was the case of DC13. But you cannot hide them delegating. If many people raise one issue again in -project, there is no much to do than discussing the issue again.].

I'm very worried that we are destroying debconf-team, thus only countries with many developers, thus with a big local team could afford organizing a DebConf. Putting so much distinction on local and global team, hiding/delegating decision for speed would inevitably trash knowledge. It is not because the "elder" as you wrote, but also for the prospective new organizers.

You were in orga team of DC7 (IIRC), and other German people were also previously involved on debconf, which IMHO is good and quasi a pre-requisite. So if we want future DebConf (DC16+), we really need to involve more people on all processes.

So please think about the future, about having healthy team who could organize DC16, DC17 and so on.

ciao
	cate