[Debconf-team] DebConf governance & 'Debian Deutschland' name and TO status

Hi,

There has been various questions raised about several topics related to
DebConf15 organization. I'm trying to wrap-up a single answer covering all
questions.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was travelling during the past week, and
ended up having much less free time than I expected. I should probably have
posted a VAC message.

1) Respective governance & decision making of DebConf, DC15 and the DC15
legal entity

As you know, there is an ongoing (slow) discussion about DebConf
governance. I believe that my position is best summarized by the excerpt
from the draft delegation below (for DebConf chairs):

---------------------------------------->8
DebConf is organized by the DebConf team (aka DebConf organization team),
that gathers many Debian contributors, both from the general Debian
community and from a local team.

The DebConf chairs are Debian Project delegates who act as a liaison
between the Debian Project and the DebConf team to ensure the success of
DebConf.

Specifically:

 * The DebConf chairs are ultimately responsible for the organization of
   DebConf and for the use of Debian resources (e.g.; money, Debian
   trademarks) to that end;

 * The DebConf chairs advise the DebConf team and share their experience
   of DebConf organization;

 * The DebConf chairs help the DebConf team define a structure (esp. in
   terms of sub-teams and roles definition) and decision-making processes
   that suits the requirements of DebConf generally, and of a specific
   edition of DebConf;

 * The DebConf chairs monitor the progress of DebConf organization and
   ensure that the defined team structure and decision-making processes
   remain functional and sufficiently efficient to ensure a successful
   DebConf;

 * When necessary, e.g.; when the DebConf team's inability to make a
   decision has an important impact on DebConf organization, or when a
   decision taken by the DebConf team is perceived by the DebConf chairs
   as creating serious risks for the organization of DebConf, the DebConf
   chairs can override the DebConf team for a specific decision.
---------------------------------------->8

To put it differently: DebConf chairs have the power to veto any decision
made by the DebConf team. However, ideally, they should never have to use
that veto power, because the DebConf team should have listened to their
opinions and advices beforehand. On the other hand, the DebConf team must
have some freedom to make implementation choices that empowers them to make
their own, very special, DebConf: the chairs are here to make sure that
those implementation choices are not threatening the success of DebConf.

(Note that this is already the case in the current delegation. The draft
above just makes it a bit more explicit.)

Reflecting this repartition of powers in the bylaws of a local entity is
quite challenging (similar to when a TO needs to codify that decisions about
Debian funds held by a TO are ultimately made by the DPL). I don't think
that this strictly needs to be written in stone in the bylaws, but rather
that the people involved are in agreement with it. (also, I cannot comment
on the proposed bylaws for the DC15 legal entity -- my mastering of German
is nowadays mostly limited to knowing what my name means, and answering
'I kann nicht Deutsch sprechen' to the occasional emails in German ;) )

There's further work to do DebConf governance. But I'd rather see
incremental suggestions based on the above proposal, rather than
completely independent proposals.

2) Should the DC15 local legal entity be a TO?

Past DebConf history shows that local entities created for the purpose of
organizing a DebConf edition tends to linger around for some time after
DebConf. So I don't think that the creation of this legal entity should be
taken lightly.

As Martin wrote in <[🔎] 20140417201402.GA7341@fishbowl.rw.madduck.net>, the TO
guidelines are just guidelines, and a temporary legal entity created for a
specific edition of DebConf might not have to follow all of them. However, for
transparency, I think that the TO guidelines are a good basis, and that the
DC15 legal entity should describe how they meet those guidelines, including
mentioning which ones they feel are irrelevant for their particular case.

So, I think that the simplest solution is to make the DC15 local legal
entity a TO, while keeping in mind that this is at this point a temporary
TO for the purpose of organizing DC15, and that some criteria can thus
easily be waived. If the TO would like to continue to act as a
general-purpose TO after DC15, we would then have to revisit the
guidelines that were waived at this point.

I'll reply to Richard's email about TO status separately -- I have a few
further comments.

3) Naming of the legal entity / use of 'Debian'

This would have to be further discussed inside the trademark team, but I
don't think that using 'Debian Deutschland' for the (temporary) TO should be
a problem.

Lucas