Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf 13 room planning (talks, hacklabs, bar, ...)

On 18.06.2013 17:07, Patty Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 03:39:11PM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>> On 18.06.2013 10:42, Benedikt Trefzer wrote:
>
>> (...)
>>> The bar team votes for bar in rotonde.
>>> We are aware of the fact, that the bar is not the most important part of
>>> the organisation. So we'd like to clearly state, it is possible to
>>> organise Bar@le carré but....
>
>>> The most important thing for us is to have a decision soon, so things
>>> can get organized.
>
>> I don't think bar is so important, and i think we should hope good
>> weather, and push people to drink outdoor (easier/cheaper to clean
>> beer).
>
> While trying to not sound like the alcoholic American, I would like to
> disagree.
>
>> DebConf priorities are talks, informal BoF rooms and hacklabs, so we
>> should start finding the rooms for such things, and then you should
>> choose the better place for bars.
>
> DebConf priorities are ABSOLUTELY talks, informal BoF rooms and hacklabs,
> but those (especially the talks and BoFs) generally happen during "day
> hours", while socializing, wandering, drinking, etc. will happen in the
> evenings/after dinner. Since the venue is fairly far removed from typical
> after-conference haunts, it's going to be pretty important to have a
> designated meeting area, otherwise attendees may designate their own
> drinking rooms.

I think we all agree on the priorities. And let me state clear: We as
the bar team also know that it's a conference and not a bar meeting ;)

The intention of my mail was just to point out, that IF there is the
possibility to use rotonde for bar, it will definitly and significant
easier and better for the bar organizers.

Important for us is to have a decision soon.

> And the smaller bar will get very quickly overcrowded. To quote, "If you
> serve it, they will come."
>
>> But we really need such big place for a bar? I would be disappointed
>> if bar will be more full than talk rooms (also considering that in
>> Le Camp we have nice outdoor places and many terraces to enjoy
>> better the nature.
>
> I would expect bar to be lightly used during talks, but heavily used right
> before dinner and especially right after dinner. Would there be any way to
> have the small bar available during the day and larger afterwards? Would the
> bar team be amenable to this?

We (the "bar team") also expect high frequency at the bar before and
after dinner. Thats why we had the idea of the tent to provide another
place.
The usage of a talk room is another possibility. Actually we have
forseen this for bad wheather conditions to substitute the tent if
necessary.
The advantage ist, that we do not need to rent a tent and there is no
problem on rainy conditions.
For logistics and other equipment (beer taps etc) it's equal to have a tent.
The disadvantage is, that the room has to be ready for talks in the
morning.  This means we have to get everything ready for talks (remove
tables, put chairs, cleanup etc) after the party.

Cheers

Benedikt