Re: [Debconf-team] sponsored attendees and rail prices

On 24/04/13 10:41, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 23.04.2013 10:12, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Looking at www.sbb.ch and trying to see any discount fares from (city in
>> Germany) to Yverdon-les-Bains for 8 August, I get an error "Bookings are
>> not yet being taken for your journey.", it seems bookings must be made
>> in less than 92 days (e.g. early-mid May), so I still believe it will be
>> helpful to give people useful links and/or guidelines to price and buy
>> their tickets.
>
> I don't think the prices will change, so we probably should give more
> information about ticket types and prices. I particular tickets from the
> airports.
>
> The international ticket are more difficult to track (a lot more
> discount, dependent also on age and own rail-cards), but I think people
> can inform themselves on local rail agencies. And we can trust people.
> Anyway, comparing the prices, we'll see if someone did an unreasonable
> request. I think there is less variance (in distance, prices, ticket
> type) in comparison to flights).
>
> So I think we should focus more on giving information about the travel,
> trains system (with the final bus trip), and ticket types. Such
> information should not be limited to sponsored people. I trust sponsored
> attendee to find the cheapest ticket, but I also think that people doing
> some vacations in Switzerland, thus buying a pass, will not ask (much)
> travel sponsorship.

Another variation of my own idea: instead of using any kind of formula
for rebates, just offer a flat 75 CHF rebate to any sponsored attendee
who buys a rail pass.  It is less than a full price rail ticket from the
nearest airport (Geneva) and it means they can enjoy some vacation time
in Switzerland without feeling bad about asking for any reimbursement.
And it is very easy to administer.