Re: [Debconf-team] Conference bag proposal

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:59:42AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 23. April 2013, Patty Langasek wrote:
> > Did we find out how much those bags would be "worth"

> they are worth "nothing", from an organizer POV - we can do debconf pretty
> well without them.

I meant what their value would be; how much will they cost the company to
donate them?

We can do debconf pretty well without a lot of things, but sponsors should
still get credit even if they earmark donations to something that's not a
direct "necessity" to coordinating or hosting the conference.

What you're suggesting is that high quality bags would just be high
price-tagged swag, in which case, there should be no requirements placed on
the donating company at all, just as we don't require other sponsors to
print or limit what they distribute to attendees otherwise.

For the record, I don't like that suggestion; we've had nice bags several
years, and they come in handy well after the conference is over.  They're
nice to have specifically at the venue, too.  We have an option to get nice
bags again this year, with little to no cost to the conference, and that
should be a factor in how we acknowledge this sponsor.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski