Re: [Debconf-team] {Disarmed} CERN & DebConf13?

Hi folks,

[ from the quoted mail From: Emmanouil Kiagias <e.kiagias@gmail.com> ]

> Hello Paul, that's also a great idea. I will be at CERN until the 30th
> of April (after that date my contract expires), until then I can go
> and talk with the "Visit Service" and ask details about the procedure
> needed(requests, booking, finding a guide etc) to come and visit
> CERN. For sure they will need to know the dates of the visit and
> approximately the number of people visiting, especially if the visit
> includes going underground to the any of the experiments (ATLAS, CMS
> etc) now that the collider is offline
>
> Also I think it would be a nice idea if the visit includes(except the
> classic staff) a more detailed talk about the software technologies used at
> CERN and exchange ideas since the people of the DebConf are developers. In
> that case I will need to talk with the IT department to find a guide more
> experienced in the software part.

It would be very cool if we could develop links to try and get GRID to
be more easily served by Debian servers.  I get the impression that
Scientific Linux is generally used, and am told that it makes the whole
thing more painful than it needs to be.

Also, it's a terrible waste that they're not putting their efforts into
making a better solution based on Debian, which would almost certainly
benefit Debian as a side-effect, but are instead simply chasing Red Hat
wherever they lead.

I'm _sure_ that we could help the GRID be significantly better if at
least parts of it were Debian based ... and maybe we'd get to use spare
cycles for buildds :-)

Cheers, Phil.