Re: [Debconf-team] Separate room for families

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:19:12PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
>> Caveate: Everyone and every family is different, so please just
>> consider this a data point.
>>
>> My opinion (as someone with a wife and 2 kids), feels that for those
>> in a situation where a family with kids wants to travel together to CH
>> for DebConf, then it is probably best to make alternate accommodation
>> arrangements.
>>
>> Although my case is a little different since I currently only plan to
>> make a single day trip to Le Camp, to meet with the other DebConf
>> organizers, I suspect that having my 7 and 9 year olds at DebConf,
>> would likely not lead to happy kids.
>>
>> What we are planning on doing is finding a more central location
>> within an hour or so commute to DebConf, and basically have me commute
>> to DebConf, and I'd leave my wife and kids to explore the region
>> during the day while I am at DebConf, and meet back up with them in
>> the evening.
>>
>> Although this probably differs for each family, (based on age and
>> interests of the family..)  I'd guess that even if we didn't have to
>> make the tradeoff of Developers vs Family for accommodation, I'd still
>> recommend the same approach. (IE: When taking family on a "business"
>> trip, I don't bring them to the business meetings, but leave them to
>> enjoy family-friendly events/attractions in the area.) Of course, I'd
>> have a different view, if the kids were old enough, and looking to get
>> involved in the project. :)
>>
>> If I were attending for more than one day, I'd still still stay in a
>> more central area with my family, leaving them to explore the region,
>> and commute to DebConf on my own, and spend the evenings with my
>> family, but I'd probably be more selective on what kind of commute I
>> am willing to deal with.
>>
>> Summary - I think at this point, our general recommendation for
>> families traveling with children, should be to encourage them to find
>> alternate accommodations, and make this recommendation sooner rather
>> than later, with a list of recommended "family friendly" accommodation
>> options, and perhaps a list of possible activities.
>>

> Yeah, as you said every family is different. I agree with you le camp
> is not a place where you can take kids. Leaving aside that your approach
> is only possible to wealthy people, *please* could you stop assuming a
> family is a couple where only the man is interested in Debian and there
> are children who will be taken care away for the woman? This is not directed
> to you, I have seem this assumption a few time on this list.
> We have monoparentals families where the contributor can not leave their
> children somemwhere else if they want to attend debconf. And also families
> with two parents who are both contributors and have to take their children
> to le camp without a choice.

My deepest apologies for oversimplifying the issue, and inferring that
my particular case was the general case, and proposing a
solution/action based on that inference.

Would the following cases cover the "family" scenarios?

1) Project Member traveling with partner, who is also a project
member, no children
2) Project Member traveling with partner, who is also a project
member, with children that are interested in Debian
3) Project Member traveling with partner, who is also a project
member, with children that are not interested in Debian/DebConf
4) Project Member traveling with partner, who is interested in
Debian/DebConf, no children
5) Project Member traveling with partner, who is not interested in
Debian/DebConf, no children
6) Project Member traveling with partner, who is interested in
Debian/DebConf, with children that are interested in Debian/DebConf
7) Project Member traveling without partner, who is not interested in
Debian/DebConf, with children that are not interested in
Debian/DebConf (This is my case.)
8) Project Member traveling without partner, with children that are
interested in Debian/DebConf
9) Project Member traveling without partner, with children that are
not interested in Debian/DebConf
10) Project Member traveling without partner, no children (technically
this is indistinguisable from the no "family case", but Project
Members with families will not always bring them.)

-Brian