Re: [Debconf-team] Separate room for families

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:19:12PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> Caveate: Everyone and every family is different, so please just
> consider this a data point.
>
> My opinion (as someone with a wife and 2 kids), feels that for those
> in a situation where a family with kids wants to travel together to CH
> for DebConf, then it is probably best to make alternate accommodation
> arrangements.
>
> Although my case is a little different since I currently only plan to
> make a single day trip to Le Camp, to meet with the other DebConf
> organizers, I suspect that having my 7 and 9 year olds at DebConf,
> would likely not lead to happy kids.
>
> What we are planning on doing is finding a more central location
> within an hour or so commute to DebConf, and basically have me commute
> to DebConf, and I'd leave my wife and kids to explore the region
> during the day while I am at DebConf, and meet back up with them in
> the evening.
>
> Although this probably differs for each family, (based on age and
> interests of the family..)  I'd guess that even if we didn't have to
> make the tradeoff of Developers vs Family for accommodation, I'd still
> recommend the same approach. (IE: When taking family on a "business"
> trip, I don't bring them to the business meetings, but leave them to
> enjoy family-friendly events/attractions in the area.) Of course, I'd
> have a different view, if the kids were old enough, and looking to get
> involved in the project. :)
>
> If I were attending for more than one day, I'd still still stay in a
> more central area with my family, leaving them to explore the region,
> and commute to DebConf on my own, and spend the evenings with my
> family, but I'd probably be more selective on what kind of commute I
> am willing to deal with.
>
> Summary - I think at this point, our general recommendation for
> families traveling with children, should be to encourage them to find
> alternate accommodations, and make this recommendation sooner rather
> than later, with a list of recommended "family friendly" accommodation
> options, and perhaps a list of possible activities.

Yeah, as you said every family is different. I agree with you le camp
is not a place where you can take kids. Leaving aside that your approach
is only possible to wealthy people, *please* could you stop assuming a
family is a couple where only the man is interested in Debian and there
are children who will be taken care away for the woman? This is not directed
to you, I have seem this assumption a few time on this list.
We have monoparentals families where the contributor can not leave their
children somemwhere else if they want to attend debconf. And also families
with two parents who are both contributors and have to take their children
to le camp without a choice.

Ana