[Debconf-team] DC12 network (was Re: DebConf12 final report)

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49:28PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> > I can fill in this information if you think it's relevant.
>> yes, i do think that's relevant.  i'd like other people to know what
>> worked for us.  (and i'd like to be able to refer to it in the future
>> myself)
>
> If that's about the network I wasn't entirely happy with the wi-fi last
> year. ;-)

Do you have any specific points you were not happy with. I think it
worked much better than the DC11 wifi network and I don't remember any
major problems.

The major problems I remember were with the DHCP server (initially too
short lease time which lead to a flood of DHCP requests and disk io
(fsync) starvation on the server) and the media converters.

> (And core switches should have STP configured, or better some more rapid
> anti-loop protocol.)

In the one incident where someone created a loop as far as I remember
only the branch with the loop was shut down. While debugging the the
problem we were initially mislead by unrelated kernel messages on homer
I think.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.