Re: [Debconf-team] Using pentabarf for minidebconfindia

Andreas Tille dijo [Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:04:51AM +0200]:
> > There is no Debian standard, there is just one application used for
> > the Debian conference. It is not, by far, a simple application to set
> > up. And it is quite diverging from upstream.
>
> Perhaps I'm completely missing the point and I learned in the past to
> trust Gunnar's words.  However, if you consider a MiniDebconf as a
> Debconf with just a shorter time frame and less people, why could those
> conferences not hosted on the very same Penta installation as we use for
> the "big" DebConf.  There might be an overlap of participiants which
> is nice for these to insert their data only once and formalising to
> this DebConf Standard also for MiniDebConfs might be an advantage.
>
> I'm sorry if this is a quite naive remark of a Penta illiterate person
> and I could be silenced by a simple:  You are stupid this will not work
> that way.

There are several conference-specific modifications to Pentabarf that
have to be done for each individual conference. Even though upstream's
Pentabarf supports a multi-conference setting, for practical purposes,
ours doesn't anymore - i.e. the validation for dates or for attendance
types includes hardwired information for the current conference (so
would be basically impossible for you to register properly for DC9
now, even if we were to set it to receive new registrations.

Pentabarf is flexible enough to accomodate for our workflows, but the
existing instance, with the modifications done it's basically
rigidized to the only current conference.